Around Valentine’s Day, people start looking for foods that are reputed aphrodisiacs. Most of the foods that are supposed to increase sexual desire have not been verified by the F.D.A. as being able to do so. Oysters have long been rumored to be culinary musk, though way too many people find the prospect of eating them a turn-off rather than a turn on. And oysters on the half-shell are usually eaten as an appetizer. If you get yourself all worked up at the beginning of the meal you may not make it to dessert.
That’s where chocolate comes in. It may or may not have the power to arouse, but it’s worth a try. This recipe from the California Grill is a veritable love-bomb. If you serve it, don’t use the good china so you won’t be disappointed when the dishes go crashing to the floor when your lover clears the surface. If you decide to take your Valentine to California Grill to try the cake, keep in mind it’s at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Get a room.
Chocolate Lava Cake from California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
8 1-ounce semisweet chocolate squares, chopped or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 sticks of butter
5 egg yolks
4 whole eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly butter sides of 6 individual (3/4 cup) ramekins. Lightly coat with sugar, shake out excess.
2. Melt chocolate and butter in top of double boiler set over simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from over water and cool 10 minutes.
3. Beat egg yolks and whole eggs together in a large bowl; add sugar and beat until thick and light, about 2 minutes.
4. Fold in chocolate mixture.
5. Sift flour, then fold into batter, mixing until smooth.
6. Divide batter among prepared cups, filling 3/4 full.
7. Place on a baking sheet and bake about 35 to 40 minutes or until sides of cake are set and middle is still soft. Do not overbake.
8. Using a small knife, cut around sides of cakes to loosen. Invert onto plates and serve with your favorite ice cream.
Cooks’ notes: You can also use muffin tins; recipe makes 12. Bake for 15 minutes or until set and middle is still soft.