A smorgasbord of bits and tids:
- Something Fishy, the Apopka seafooder, has added a line of custom cakes to its offerings. The new venture is called Something Sweet, which is a much better name.
- If pie is more your thing, the American Pie Council, not to be confused with the Austrian Pie Council, is sponsoring the National Pie Championships (making, not eating) in Orlando. Hundreds of pie makers will be gathering Friday, April 6 and Saturday, April 7 at the Rosen Centre Hotel to compete and “hundreds of judges” will name the nation’s top pies. Check the Pie Council’s website for more information and to find out if you can be one of the hundreds of judges.
- The Spring Sip N’ Savor Networker sponsored by the Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association is April 5 from 5:30 to 7:30. It’s at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort at Universal Orlando and is open to everyone, member or non. Tickets? Yes, you can get tickets.
- Paddlefish is hosting a four-course wine pairing dinner featuring lobster and wines from all around the world. $90, and more details here.
- Wine Quest 2018 is June 1 and 2 at Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando. Grand Tasting Friday, big dinner Saturday. Tickets and info now.
- Congratulations to Melissa J. McAvoy, owner of the Swirlery wine bar, for passing the advanced sommelier exam. That’s one level short of master somm in the Court of Master Sommelier organization.
- And only one room remains for the June 23-30 trip to France, hosted by me and the now up-and-about Kevin Fonzo. Check the Art in Voyage website for the itinerary. But hurry.